I have been making cards since winter 1990 – longer than I have made scrapbooks! I have learned a LOT along my journey, and wanted to share what I have learned with you all! Making your own cards can be really cost effective, depending on what you send out, how many you send out, plus they are more personalized too!
Some of my favorite hints and tips when making cards:
- Use scraps left over from other projects to make your cards. Don’t throw things away – even a small piece can be used for SOMETHING!
- You don’t need to purchase EVERYTHING, learn to pick and choose what you buy, and use what you DO buy!! Paper can go a long way if you add die cuts and stamps to them!
- For your card packs, you can purchase both the card base and envelope in one package, or you can simply buy the envelope’s and then cut an 8.5 x 11 sheet of cardstock in half, folding in half, for your card base!
- Use your coupons for Michael’s, Hobby Lobby, and Joann’s to get larger purchases you want! Watch for sales, and utilize online shopping to get what you are really wanting!
- When you make a scrapbook layout, since you have everything out already (especially if you are making a themed page/project) make a few cards to put in your stash!
- Put your scraps in one place to use later on down the line. I use small pieces for my card bases, or to use for punch pieces, stamped images/sayings, paper piecing’s, tags, corner/tall bookmarks – whatever I can think of at the time…I just don’t throw away my scraps!
- You can take stickers or die cuts, add a stamped saying, and create a one of a kind card each and every time by using scraps!
- Use a glue gun for those projects where you really want the item to stick…and when I mail a card, or give it to someone to use, I want the small details to stick to the card!
- Punches go a LONG LONG way!!! You can take different punches you have, add them to other punches – and have a darling one of a kind creation! Don’t limit yourself!
- Die cuts are another GREAT buy – I have a Sizzix machine and a Cricut machine, and I use BOTH! You can use die cut shapes in so many different ways – on scrapbook pages and cards alike!
- Use various scraps with die cuts, stamped images and punches to create a one of a kind embellishment to put on your cards or scrapbook projects!
- Don’t limit yourself – use papers that don’t “go together” and try to pair them together, don’t worry about the manufacture – look more at the color of the paper you want to use!
I have been having a lot of fun in creating cards lately! My scrap pile is going down for sure – and awesome one of a kind cards in the place of! All of the cards I do end up being one of a kind because I simply don’t worry about the “papers” I use, and instead look at the colors I am using! Some of the papers I end up using just don’t normally go together, but when I make a card, it just “works”! Don’t be afraid to step outside of the box and have fun with the papers you use and the cards you make!
Thanks for stopping by,
Memories in Tyme